Friday, March 28, 2014

TGIF: Virtual Reality, Typography and Reviews

Look a picture! I'll try add an something unique to each day.

Friday has arrived, finally. I'll try my best not to make excuses for not remembering things because it's now officially the weekend, but still, it is the weekend.

An article that caught my attention today about a clever discovery made by a middle school boy. Apparently he was looking for ways to save his school money (presumably for an assignment) and discovered that by changing the typeface, or font the school used in it's printed materials it could save 20%. He figured the same idea could be applied to the government. It turns out that the government uses Times New Roman font for it's THOUSANDS of publications that get printed EVERY DAY. By switching to a simpler font with thinner lines (the name of the font he suggest escapes me... maybe Garamount or something?) the government (including states) could save 400 million dollars! And that's just on the ink! You might need less paper as well. Why hasn't anyone thought of this before? Why are we changing this immediately? The world may never know, but at least we hope it can act on it.

I read a couple of reviews for the new movie "Noah" coming out this weekend (I think). I am very interested in seeing this movie and the critics seem to be confirming my interest. From the two articles I've read I've gathered that the movie is very liberal in applying the biblical tale of Noah. Yes, there's an ark, a family, lots of animals and a flood but much of the filler is very different, and apparently very unique. It was said that the effects combined with the filming style, story and unique approach to the characters makes the movie much deeper than anticipated. I won't go into much more detail. Even though this blog is intended to catalog my daily internet musings I may have to find time to add a few more comments on the movie once I see it.

I watched a Verge video on virtually reality. In case you hadn't heard, Facebook bought Oculus Rift, one of the most talked about and promising prospects for real virtual reality. The video seemed to be less enthusiastic about the experience of virtual reality - specifically from Rift. This is different from many articles I have read that have praised and adored everything about Oculus. Either way, the future will certainly hold some interesting surprises for virtually reality, and most of them won't be for gaming.

I also wanted to briefly mention some posts both today and tomorrow that going on at Gizmodo talking about the Singularity. Specifically the organization called Singularity University who's mission is to be at the forefront of new technology and development and prepare humanity for what's ahead. It's all very interesting stuff. I won't explain the Singularity because i technically didn't read an article about it today and for now, that's the rules I'm setting. Please look it up and tell me what you think.

A lesson I've always known all along but I'm rediscovering even as I write only the second post is that articles and posts from places like BuzzFeed, ViralNova, UpWorthy and even Business Insider are essentially, worthless. Surprise! But I also must admit they are often entertaining and the humor frequently rings true. They are still, nonetheless, of no real value to the intellect.

No comments:

Post a Comment